Zazzle Store

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Why Chicken Eggs Didn't Hatch

I have about 8 chickens and a rooster. I thought everything was going fine. I had about 40 eggs in the nest and then about 60 days ago a chicken starting sitting all of the time on the nest. I kept saying to my husband, what are we going to do with that many baby Chic's?
Well after about 28 days I started to wonder what was going on. I knew that the babies should have been here. I had even gone to the feed store and got the special feed for them. I was checking that nest about 10 times a day. Well after 60 days and still no baby Chic's, I knew something was up. I am not that experienced with chickens. That same day, the chicken must have figured the same thing. She stopped sitting and went to live in the other chicken house.
Today I went out to clean out the house and get rid of the eggs. My husband said lets break open some of these eggs and see if any of them have started to develop. Nope! Not any, they were all rotten and nasty. I found out that chicken eggs will rot. If the chicken doesn't sit on the eggs within 26 days then the eggs will not develop, they will rot instead.
Lesson learned the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment