Zazzle Store

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Raising Turkeys Can Be Too Much Of A Project


My Grandfather started me out with a couple of baby turkeys. I fell in love with them. In fact I didn't even know that I was getting them. I got a phone call and my Grandfather said. Go look in the box on your deck. So at first I didn't know what I was going to do with these strange little things. But, I wasn't long figuring it out. I wrapped them in wash clothes and rocked them in a rocking chair. That is right, I said that I rocked my baby turkeys. They were so homely that they were cute. I kept them in the house in a box with a light on them for months. Until I figured that they were big enough. Everyone kept saying those turkeys need a pen outside. But I just didn't think that they were big enough. So I kept rocking them. It did get to a point when they had to go outside. They got so smelly and yucky in that small box.
I named them Cuddly and Fuzzy. My grandfather had a mansion built for them. At least it would be considered a mansion as far as Turkeys are concerned. This is when all of my problems began. I had some people over for supper one night. We were all out on the deck eating having a nice time. One of my Turkeys walked up to me and got on my lap. It was so embarrassing, as if that wasn't bad enough, he then started making a sound very similar to the sound that a cat makes when it is purring. I had a really hard time trying to explain to my guests why my Turkey was doing this. Okay so you are probably thinking that is funny. But, let me tell you how bad it got. My Turkeys would get on the deck and stare at me through the window of my kitchen. If I did not notice them they would tap on the glass. If I moved they moved to the other window and did the same thing. I would have to put them in their pen when I was going for a walk. They would follow me all over town. People started calling me the turkey lady. Every where I went people were asking me about these birds.
Of course my Grandfather is just loving all of this. Every time I see him he is laughing. Asking how are those turkeys doing?
Then it all changed with the delivery of another present from my grandfather. He brought me a female turkey. That was it! My precious Cuddly and Fuzzy turned on me like you would not believe. They would fly right up and try to bite my face. They would chase my 5 year old son all over the driveway pecking at him. They were always looking for a fight. The female turkey changed their mood. It was all about fighting and challenging everything for her.
I stopped getting company because my turkeys would attack anyone who came over. People in my town started referring to my turkeys now, as guard turkeys.
So one day I went to help a friend. When I got home, one of my turkeys was missing. I do not know if an animal got him, or if my neighbors were tired of him. About a month later a fox got my other male turkey. I still had the female though. And, she was sitting on a bunch of eggs.
So needless to say, it all started all over again! I always have been a sucker for punishment.
Could you resist that cute little face???

No comments:

Post a Comment