Zazzle Store

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Saving Money in a Bad Economy! PART 1 Groceries

Every week the pay check comes, but the money doesn't go very far.  The price of things is going up all the time!  How does anyone stay on budget when it costs so much just to get the basics?  I am a stay at home mom who home schools.  I have to cut corners everywhere in order to continue to stay home with my son.
The first thing is food.  Never waste any left over food.  If you think it is more then you will be able to eat before it spoils, then put it in the freezer.  Maybe you just have a little bit of something left over, for example a small amount of spaghetti sauce.  I would put this in a Tupperware in the freezer and then just keep adding to that Tupperware until it is full.  Then I would use it for pizza sauce or chop suey.  I keep a piece of paper on my fridge where I can write down what I have in there for leftovers.  This way I can keep track of what needs to be used, and it keeps me from having to clean out the fridge because of spoiled food.  I check that list each day, and decide what I can cook using leftovers.  Forget about using a recipe when you are cooking like this. Or if you are using a recipe, don't be afraid to improvise to meet your need.  Just put together whatever goes together alright and is thrifty.  I will be blogging soon on ways to use leftovers along with some of my own recipes.
When you are grocery shopping, watch for meat that needs to be sold that day.  Bring it home and put it right in the freezer.  You will save a lot of money this way.  Just make sure to leave the meat frozen until you are ready to use it and then thaw it out in the microwave.  Always buy the store brand.  It is usually cheaper then using coupons.  Most always the store brand is very good. Shop mostly for sale items or unadvertised store specials.  You can get creative and make great meals using ingredients that are on sale and save huge amounts.  Check the reduced fresh produce also.  It is good to pick up some of your produce this way if you are able to eat it in a few days.  Why pay full price and then have to wait for it to ripen, when you want it now. 
Keep your cupboards well stocked.  If you shop by the day, you are going to spend a lot more.  Shop once a week at the most and make yourself use just what you have on hand.  Don't make special trips to the store for items you forgot.  It wastes gas, and you can always improvise with something you have.  A well stocked cupboard keeps you from eating out.  You can usually find something you are in the mood for right at home. 
Don't spend a lot of money on premade things, or prepackaged mixes.  These always cost more, and because they are packed with preservatives and things, you eat more food without feeling satisfied.  You can make the same things from scratch without too much effort.  I do try to keep, what I call an emergency meal on hand.  This is something premade that can go into the microwave in case of a crazy day.  This is good to have to avoid take out. 
Always buy your staples in bulk when on sale.  For example I buy my flour in a 25 lb. bag for $8.00 when it is on sale.  A 5 lb. bag off sale is at least $2.50.  That is a big savings.  Buy your eggs in a big case of 2 1/2 dozen.  Think of the things you use a lot of and buy it in bigger packages.
Why spend a lot of money on Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, trash bags etc.?  You can put small amounts of leftovers in Tupperware style containers.  You can cover bowls with plates.  Cook in baking pans that come with storage lids.  Save old bread bags as sandwich bags.  Use those plastic bags from the grocery store for trash bags. 
Stay tuned for part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment