Zazzle Store

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ravens Are Dangerous Around Chickens !

I have been having a hard time lately to get any eggs. I thought at first that my chickens just were not laying. After a few days of there not being any eggs, I got very suspicious. I noticed one morning that there was a raven in the chicken fence. Then a few days later I saw a raven flying with an egg shell. That raven was going into my hen house and eating the eggs before I could get them. So I started leaving my chickens closed in the house until I got their eggs for the day and then I would let them out in the fence.
Sunday I was at Church, and my husband left the house to pick me up. He brought the dog with him, so all was quiet in my yard. A raven killed one of my chickens. This chicken was huge. It weighed about 8 pounds. The raven struck it in the back of the neck with one hard peck killed it and then carried it off. We found the chicken when we got home laying on the ground and could tell by the wound that it was a big bird that had done it, also we saw the raven and then sure enough he came back after the chicken. We were only gone about 15 minutes. I was shocked, the egg thing was bad enough but killing my chicken that is really going way too far.
Today I went to a friends house and came home to find that my chicken nest that the chicken was laying on, in order to hatch the eggs was empty. The chickens were all spooked and about 20 eggs were gone. My guess, that raven again. And the worst part is my husband can't get a shot at him, he is too fast. He is going to wipe out my chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment