Zazzle Store

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Found A Cure For The Raven Problem

As I posted before, I was having trouble with Ravens getting into my chicken house and taking the chickens eggs and killing my chickens. Well I had enough of them the other day so I decided that it was time to really do something about it.
I made some scarecrows, nothing fancy but they seem to be doing the trick. I screwed a board to the side of each chicken house. I planned it so that the board would be about 7 feet up off of the ground. I wanted the scarecrows to be really intimidating. Then I screwed an old pair of jeans to the chicken house right under the board. I used long wood screws so that is would be sturdy. I tied knots in the bottoms of each leg and stuffed them with shopping bags. Then I put a shirt down over the board. I stapled the back of the shirt to the board with a staple gun. I tucked the bottom of the shirt down into the pant and then nailed it all together to the side of the house. I stuffed the shirt with old shopping bags. I tied a knot in the sleeves and stuffed them with plastic egg crates. Then for the head I used old feed bags. I just bunched them up into a ball, put the ball down on the top of the board and then stapled around the head with a staple gun onto the board. I took a permanent marker and drew a face. I pulled the neck of the shirt up to the head and stapled again. Then I took a bright yellow safety hat and put it on. It looked huge and scary.
Now, it was time for the test. I let my dog outside. She went crazy growling and barking. She thought they were real. It has been two days and no problems yet with the ravens. I see them circle my yard, but then they leave. They want nothing to do with a 7 foot man in a safety hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment